You know that business owner you envision becoming…someday? Well, it’s time to start stepping into her shoes now.
- What does she look like?
- How does she dress?
- What kinds of shoes does she wear?
- How does she carry herself?
- What is her office space like?
- What does the inside of her car look like?
If you wait until your first public talk or your first client meeting to try to embody this powerful leader, you will probably end up scrambling to try to figure out how she shows up and you’ll likely appear uncomfortable and inauthentic.
If you start now, you will appear genuine, empowered and at home in your skin when the time comes to really be “on.” Think about your clothes, accessories and your physical environment as they are right now. Do these things represent the leader who you want to become? If not, it’s time to begin transforming your appearance and your physical space into that of the leader you envision becoming.
I’m not talking about going out and buying the most expensive things.
What I recommend, is that you create a clean and organized living space and wardrobe that helps you mentally, emotionally and physically embody your inner business owner.
Step into Your Powerful Biz Owner Shoes
Without Breaking the Bank:
1. People always comment on how much they love my necklaces; well, believe it or not, Target makes some pretty fab jewelry;-)…and so do I (I used to make my own jewelry all the time, I even did it as a side biz in college).
2. Is your office comprised of old, mismatched, falling apart furniture? If so, take a trip to IKEA and invest in some inexpensive, but nice office furniture that makes you FEEL GOOD and like your biz is a real career, not just a side gig.
3. Is your closet full of old clothes that don’t feel like you? Upgrading your wardrobe doesn’t have to be expensive either. If you don’t resonate with the current items in your closet, put them in a bag and take them to a consignment shop where you can trade them for money. Then use that money to buy yourself some new outfits! Consignment shops are a great place to find quality things for a fraction of the price.
I dare you:
I want you to start showing up NOW as the business owner you want to be, everywhere you go. Unfortunately, people will judge you within the first second of meeting you. It’s just how most minds work. So think, “if I met my ideal client at this event today, would I appear as someone who they would want to invest their money with?”